Cindy Sue Causey writes:

On 2/13/22, Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> [...]

[...]

> Interesting.
>
> Captive portals provide free connectivity. What's the problem?

I almost responded to this thread yesterday to say, "Shudder!"

My thought process was that it seems like it might be pretty easy for
perps hovering out in a parking lot or maybe a nearby building to
create a fake captive portal that resembles what users would be
expecting to see from the, yes, FREE Internet provider.

That would only be possible if this is working like I'm imagining is
being described here. That imagination involves a webpage such as what
I once encountered popping up unexpectedly while trying to access WIFI
through a local grocery store a few years ago.

[...]

Yes, it works pretty much as you describe with exactly the problematic aspects (see my other post and the RFC linked before).

It is not _that_ bad for security because of two key points:

- Captive portals cannot bypass protection by TLS certificates.
  Users will instead be unable to access the respective pages and either
  get a certificate error or no useful error message at all.

- In case of unencrypted/unprotected traffic, adversaries can
  manipulate that even _without_ captive portals if they setup their
  own (malicious) “free” WiFi service.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö