On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:42:11AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 at 17:15 GMT, Paul Morgan penned:
> >
> > Even with huge internet links, radio is a problem.  My corp has
> > upwards of 50,000 PCs, you can imagine the problem and associated cost
> > if rules weren't strict and the penalties non-trivial ("not excluding
> > termination")
> >
> > If you're at work, and you're stealing your company resources (or your
> > time for which your company has paid you) for personal reasons, you're
> > a thief, no two ways about it.
> >

> I wonder if a company could get brownie points with its employees and
> save bandwidth at the same time by proxying/caching some internet radio
> stations for their use?  Only one "user" for as many internal users as
> wanted it?
>
> I have no idea of the technical feasibility of that, nor of the
> legalities.  Just a thought.

It works as long as everyone's willing to listen to the same thing :-)
Or, to put it another way, you need N users per "proxy" stream, where
N is a number greater than, say, 4, to make it worthwhile.  Obviously
there's still a upper bound on how many proxy streams you can support.

Realaudio made (and possibly still makes) a proxy for their audio
streaming format.  It wasn't cheap when I looked at it a few years
ago.  There are free alternatives like icecast if you're streaming
mp3s (which may have other legal issues for a company ...)

Howeer, all this assumes that you have plenty of internal bandwidth,
and are only squeezed on external bandwidth.  Many companies do not
have an excess of internal bandwidth: think a company with many sites
connected by fractional DS-1 links.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman - Incanus Networking mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  It doesn't matter what you are doing, emacs is always overkill.