On 06/06/2022 10:48, Gareth Evans wrote:
Not sure what's happened though as it worked perfectly with both auto-detected
and manually-added printer profiles from Bullseye until a week or two ago.  My
logs suggest no update to system-config-printer.  I did change the printer's
hostname (on printer console) but both the printer and laptop have been
restarted several times since then, printers re-added and re-auto-detected etc.

In my case it never worked any other way. But I never dug very deep to try to find out why.

Why should adding via the command line work, but not via system-config-printer
or localhost:631?

I guess adding it in CUPS web interface (localhost:631) should work, if the exact same parameters are selected: the ipp:// url and the "CUPS PPD generator" (selected by "-m everywhere" option) as opposed to "cups-filters PPD generator".

That might be the explanation (at least for my case). From what I understand from https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting , there are those two options, and "The cups-filters PPD generator is used by default with cups-browsed". In theory either should work, but there's probably some quirk in the printer and some small difference between the two methods.

--
Tchurin-tchurin-tchun-clain!

-- Chapolim

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI