On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 10:58:54AM +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to rip "Permission To Land" by The Darkness to ogg
> using grip (and cdparanoia).
>
> cdparanoia has tremendous problems with the disc, which plays ok in a CD
> player.  If anyone out there has it, can they have a go at ripping it?
> The back label mentions "digital copy protection", which I find rather
> worrying...

If it can be played, it can be copied... You need a CD player with an S/PDIF
output and an S/PDIF-capable sound card based on the CMI8738 chipset - these
are cheap, and have a solid S/PDIF implementation capable of bit-perfect
copies (many, including Soundblasters, fail on solidity, cheapness or
both...) Google for the little gtk app that lets you turn S/PDIF on and off
on these cards (not being on my usual box, I don't have the reference to
hand).

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons