On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 09:32:43AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/17/22 08:25, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> > The point about being poitve and constructive rather than snarky is a more
> > general one.

> > > I agree 100%. This whole nightmare was started by the installer silently
> > > installing brltty and orca, assuming I was blind just because it found a
> > > plugged in fdti usb<->serial adapter, and by the time I had killed the
> > > noise, the log was still being spammed about 30 lines per keystroke and
> > > the system uptime was in hours. And the reboot was locked up by not
> > > finding
> > > brltty, so that was about the first 25 re-installs. It was the only way
> > > to reboot.
> > >
> > Early on in your 25 reinstalls, I and others suggested you unplug the serial
> > leads and try again. Once you were able to do that, you got a more usual
> > install where that option is skipped.
> >
> > > And I'm catching hell because I didn't trace down my USB tree and unplug
> > > everything during the install.
> > >
> > As above: you were advised to do this - when you finally did, it worked as
> > expected.

Andrew is right on this one. One has to be fair to both sides,
and it is true that you stubbornly refused to try the advice
offered to you. There always are reasons...

> It also required I put these 87 yo knees on the floor and crawl around
> under the table to trace which cable was which. That gets complex
> when there are over 20 of them and 2 external hubs in 32 years of
> detrius [...]

...possibly valid ones, but railing at the d-i seems unfair: if some
wacko USB device steals the ID of a Braille terminal, there's nothing
the d-i can do about that. Even in doubt, the machine should switch
to assistive tech mode, otherwise a blind person wouldn't stand a
chance. It's a decision you, the engineer, would take exactly that
way, I suppose.

[...]

> I would rebut that it is, the d-i could interrogate and discover that
> whatever was beyond either of those adapters was not a braille tty.
> But no, it finds the adapter and assumes its feeding a braille tty.

But that's exactly what it does. That's what those USB IDs are for.
Most probably one of those USB-serial adapters is lying through its
pins. Another possibility is that the database UDEV consults is
wrong. An lsusb might shed light on that. But not railing at things
and people :)

Cheers