On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 21:54:18 +0200
Erwan David <er...@rail.eu.org> wrote:

> ssh-agent is usually started by your session manager. I do not know
> wether all DE use this, but you can find it in
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent

True. The snippet in that file is nested in a conditional, though:
  if has_option use-ssh-agent; then
  …

If I'm not mistaken, disabling "use_ssh_agent" in
/etc/X11/Xsession.options causes that conditional to fail, so
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent will do nothing.

man Xsession(5) uses the wording "If the line ‘use-ssh-agent’ is
present in Xsession.options", but man Xsession.options(5) says "All  of
the  above options are enabled by default" and instructs to disable
them by prefixing the option with "no-". Prior experience suggests that
commenting the line out *is* sufficient to disable it, but just to be
sure I have uncommented the line and changed it to "no-use-ssh-agent".
Even after a reboot, this has made no difference to the situation.

$ grep -i ssh ~/.xsession-errors returns no results, and that file
*does* have entries showing other environment variables being set via
dbus-update-activation-environment.

I suppose I could try commenting out the whole snippet in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent, or moving the file away, but
at this point I'm reasonably confident Xsession is not the culprit.

Thanks for the lead, though. I know a bit more about how Xsession works
now than I did yesterday.

Cheers!
 -Chris