On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 02:07:58PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 02:02:21PM -0400, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> > Logging in as root has become taboo. Sudo is the prefered mechanism for
> > running administrator functions. I have root set to nologin with a null
> > password to force sudo usage.
>
> This makes entering single-user mode ("rescue mode") impossible.

Agreed. There are ways around that, but logging in as root while
physically present is a quite honourable thing to do.

Some swing this way, others the other way. Use the tool which suits
you. Know its limitations.

FWIW, not long ago sudo had a vulnerability. It is just much more
complex, and complexity is an enemy of security (I say that as a
fan of sudo and as a regular user).

Cheers
--
"all generalisations suck" tomás