On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:23:49PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 06:37:47AM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> > > how do i stop apt downloads if i dont
> > > use sudo. for ex:
> > > $ apt install reportbug

> If the OP is complaining about:
>
> $ apt download reportbug
> Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian buster/main i386 reportbug all
> 7.5.3~deb10u1 [128 kB]
> Fetched 128 kB in 0s (642 kB/s)

... then they should have said that in their original message.
Second-guessing what people mean is sometimes useful, but more often
just leads to extremely wild goose chases.

On another note, the word "stop" in the original message is ambiguous.
You're interpreting it as "prevent", and that might be correct.  I was
reading it as "interrupt", in which case the standard "Ctrl-C" (or
whatever key has been mapped to stty intr) works just fine, with a
possible follow-up step of "and then remove whatever partial download
files were created".  Which of course only makes sense if we change
the user's command as you did.