Hi Joe,

> Gesendet: Montag, 12. September 2022 um 19:05 Uhr
> Von: "Joe" <j...@jretrading.com>
> An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: systemd automount unit: run only when server is reachable
>

> I have a number of shares (samba rather than nfs) listed in /etc/fstab
> with the noauto and x-systemd.automount options, among others. Without
> the noauto it will assume every fstab entry is required for booting and
> will hang on boot if it can't find one. With both, it automounts at
> first access, and therefore may never mount if it's not needed for
> anything.
>
> I would assume it would work similarly with nfs instead of cifs.

It will. In fact systemd creates automount units from your fstab similar to the
ones
I use. But the problem remains the same: If you want to use them over vpn
you need to the set the timout to a high number of seconds. Otherwise it will
not
mount (should be the same for your fstab approach). And thus you have to wait
for
a long time if the share is not reachable. Which occurs often with laptop that
is not
only used in the home net and not always runs the vpn.

Regards,

Jürgen