On 9/13/2022 4:14 PM, Thiemo Kellner wrote:
> Am 12.09.22 um 19:47 schrieb Chuck Zmudzinski:
> > "Open Source Software is accessible to all means it can be used and
> > misused.
> > And, that’s where it turns unconstructive for us. With OSS, we can expect
> > harm,
> > virus transfer, identity burglary, and many other malicious practices to
> > hurt the
> > process." [1]
> >
> > [1]
> > https://medium.com/quick-code/advantages-disadvantages-of-open-source-software-explained-2fd35acd413
>
> Hi Chuck

> I do not quite get the meaning of "Open Source Software is accessible to
> all means it can be used and misused." by Megha Verma. Assuming that it
> is by its nature possible to "inject" malicious code then yes and no.
> Yes, it theoretically is possible as anyone can get and change the code,
> but no, if the project is fairly well maintained, i.e. no commits to the
> main branch of the code repository without any review. Personally, I
> have been using OSS for more than 25 years and never had the suspicion
> any of the OSS I used was acting malicious.

I think Megha is emphasizing, and possibly over-emphasizing, the fact that the
persons
who actually commit the code in free software projects can operate with little
or
no oversight when they are just volunteers not really accountable to anyone.
Also,
we do not really know what the malware/ransomware situation would be like today
around the world if free/oss software were not as ubiquitous as it is today in
web
servers, phone operating systems like android, etc. It clearly is not a good
situation
now regarding malware and ransomware around the world, and it is not
unreasonable
to think the situation might be better if either 1) open source projects
exercised more
oversight than they currently do over the persons who actually write the code
and
release the software, or 2) free/oss software never became ubiquitous. We just
cannot
know without being able to do a time machine experiment and see how the software
world would have developed if free/oss software had not become as ubiquitous as
it is
today. If there was not a serious problem of malware, identity theft,
ransomware, etc.,
I would be more inclined to question what Megha Verma wrote, but based on what
I see in how free/oss projects are governed, I am not surprised that a world
that relies
on so much free/oss software also suffers from so much malware, ransomware,
identity
theft, etc. Just because *you* have not experienced malware in the software you
use
does not mean that there are no cases where free/oss software is being deployed
elsewhere in a stealthy way for malicious purposes. I am fairly sure I was a
victim of
the breach of Yahoo that affected hundreds of millions of its users. A word to
the wise:
be vigilant about the software you use and take note of any red flags.

I know people will reply and say it is much worse with proprietary software.
But we
really cannot know for sure, because free/oss is so ubiquitous now it is hard to
separate free/oss software from proprietary software. For example, most web
browsers are based on chromium, a free oss project that comes in large part from
Google, but some of the most-used browsers in the world based on chromium
are proprietary, such as chrome and edge.

I recommend everyone be very aware of the risks of using any software, whether
it be proprietary software or free/oss software in today's world of so much
malware.

Best regards,

Chuck