On 9/29/22 06:54, Marcelo Laia wrote:

Recently, I bought a SSD SATA Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1.

:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

https://pastebin.com/Jyrhn1A2

:~$ sudo journalctl --since "2022-09-25 00:00:00" | grep sda

https://pastebin.com/QtCqpJPm

:~$ sudo journalctl --since "2022-09-25 00:00:00" | grep ata1

https://pastebin.com/x5QdaYQU

:~$ sudo journalctl --since "2022-09-25 00:00:00" | grep error

https://pastebin.com/1hEPm7YX

On 9/29/22 12:40, David Christensen wrote:

The many "ATA bus error" messages indicate that you have a bad connection between your motherboard and the SSD.  You need to correct this problem first.

On 9/30/22 08:57, Marcelo Laia wrote:

>>    $ sudo inxi -a -v 8 -za
>
> https://pastebin.com/iAvJrXdB

So, a 2014 Dell Inspiron 5547 laptop. You did not state that earlier, so I assumed it was a desktop/ server system...

Laptop HDD/SSD cables are very specific. Getting a replacement could be easy or could be hard. Contact Dell to see if the part is available. I have never concluded a laptop HDD/SSD cable was bad, but I have not encountered many. You will have to decide if you want to replace yours. I would try to eliminate other possibilities first.

Please post:

# cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a

Connect an Ethernet cable. Disable the Wi-Fi via CMOS Setup. Boot a recent Debian installer into a rescue shell. For example (you may see different questions; adjust your answers as needed):

    debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso

    Debian GNU/Linux installer menu
    -> Advanced options
    -> Rescue mode
    -> Language -> C
    -> Continent or region -> North America
    -> Country, territory or area -> United States
    -> Keymap to use -> American English
    -> Load missing firmware from removable media -> No
    -> Primary network interface -> eth0: Ethernet
    -> Hostname -> debian
    -> Domain name -> <blank>
    -> Select your time zone -> Pacific
    -> Passphrase for /dev/sda3 -> <blank>
    ->  Device to use as root file system -> Do not use a root file system
    -> Rescue operations -> Execute a shell in the installer environment
    -> Executing a shell -> Continue

Does dmesg(1) show any errors?

# dmesg | grep error

If you read 10 GiB from the SSD:

# date ; dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1M count=10k ; date

How long does it take? Were there any error messages? Does dmesg(1) show any errors?

Power off when done:

# poweroff

If you remove the Crucial SSD, install the previous HDD/SSD, and exercise it with the Debian installer rescue shell, do you see any errors?

David