ottavio2006-usenet2...@yahoo.com wrote:
>I have an old Thinkpad on its last legs which I cannot shutdown (long
>story). Then I have a slightly better Thinkpad with similar hard
>drive. Debian is split into three partitions (root. home and swap)/
>
>I'll recreate a similar partitioning from a live usb on the newer
>laptop, then I'll mount the root partition, connect to the old laptop
>via ssh, copy the data on the new drive, reinstall grub and modify
>fstab.
>
>Will this work?

Sure, that should work OK. I've done this lots of times. Things to
consider:

 1. Be careful to back up including file permissions and ownerships
    etc.

 2. Try to copy things from a quiet system (single-user mode or
    similar) to get a consistent backup copy.

 3. There are a *few* things that might need fixup on the new
    machine. You've already identified grub and fstab.

    For some unknown reason, network configuration (wireless networks
    etc.) in NetworkManager includes the MAC address of the local NIC
    too, so you may need to fix those up after transfer.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could