pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 09:40:11 -0500
> Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:
>
> > rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I'm not really clear on the concept of a snapshot (for backup) --
> > > I've done a little googling but haven't found an explanation that
> > > "satisfies" me.
> > >
> > > Starting from a beginning, I suppose I could copy the entire
> > > contents of whatever I wanted to make a snapshot of (by any of a
> > > variety of tools -- dd, cp, ...) and call that a snapshot, although
> > > the more common name for it would be a "full backup".
> >
> > Let's look at the larger circumstances.
> >
> > In ordinary usage, there are tens to thousands of processes
> > runnning on your system. Some of them are emitting logs or
> > writing files.
> >
> > Taking a backup takes some time. During that time, some files
> > get written, some get opened, and some are related to each other
> > (by the processes) in ways which are inconsistent until all of
> > them are written.
> >
> > A snapshot differs from a backup in two important regards:
> >
> > - first, it requires the filesystem to bring writes to a halt.
> > There is now a consistent view.
> >
> > - second, it doesn't actually copy things. It just records their
> > state and, when done, allows future writes to continue -- writes
> > which are not part of this snapshot.
> >
> > As a result, you can take a snapshot and then:
> >
> > - discard it (trivial)
> >
> > - look through it and copy off any file or group of files, thus
> > getting what they contained at the time of the snapshot, not the
> > what they contain now (excellent for recovering from an
> > accidental delete)
> >
> > - copy all of it off elsewhere, producing a consistent full
> > backup.
> >

> Assuming a snapshot is taken so that you can recover a filesystem to a
> previous state (or the current state). Is that correct?

Yes.

> I don't understand "recording the state" of files. To me, this means
> the ownership, size, etc., not the contents. That doesn't seem valuable
> for recovering the state of a system.

That's the metadata. A snapshot fixes the data as well as the
metadata. State is everything written to disk.

> Let's assume, as the OP says, you do an original full backup. A
> snapshot ought to record either the contents of all the files which
> have changed, or record the delta of each file which has changed.
> Thus, you'd be able to recover a filesystem to either some prior state
> or its current state, using the snapshot.
>
> Am I missing something?

Well, you don't need to recover it to the current state, because
you already have that. But, yes, a snapshot from yesterday
allows you to copy from that snapshot any or all changed files
to the current filesystem.

-dsr-