On Sat 19 Nov 2022, at 17:09, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
[...]
>> received from this online seller:
[...]

Hi Gene,

If I copy the message source you posted above, starting from

"Return Path:..."

and ending at the end of

"------=_Part_88_360748977.1668870493425--"

then
- paste that into a into a text file
- save it as gene.eml
- double-click gene.eml

...it opens with Thunderbird in plaintext view and appears to be empty.

If I then go to

View > Message Body As > Original HTML

I can see your original email and their reply, in HTML format.

If you haven't already tried

View > Message Body As > Original HTML

when viewing the "empty" plaintext version of the message, I think it should
produce the same result as I got from saving the source to a separate file.  If
not, I'm afraid I can't suggest any reason for that.

> [...] javamail is base64'ing all of the html composed reply to my query. But
> because t-bird is broken and not re-entrant as it should be, I'm not seeing
> it.

It's sometimes necessary to "base64" messages from web-based wrappers to avoid
bugs in header/message formatting.  I've had this experience with PHPMailer.
But the failure of "re-entrance" is because one of the blank lines in the
text/plain multipart section of the raw message is interpreted as content, and
Tb is displaying it (and more).

If I click on the "blank" plaintext version's window in the (would-be) message
display area, to give it focus, then

select all
copy
paste into a text editor

...two line breaks are pasted.  I'm not convinced *two* line breaks should be
pasted, but there we are.

I use MATE DE and the Caja file manager.  Tb is my default email client.
Evolution offers to import the message from mbox format when I:

- right-click gene.eml
- Open with... > other application > Evolution Mail and Calendar

...and it shows a preview of the HTML version immediately.

I'm not sure this is a Tb bug, just perhaps a "purist" way of doing things
which avoids "knowing what the user really wants", which (more generally) seems
liable to unintended consequences.

> Or, is there some option I can set that will enable its display.

Much as I seem to recall one, I can't find a way to make Tb display HTML by
default if it exists.

This rather old forum post suggests that's the way things are, or at least were:

"'View' > 'Message Body As' > 'Original HTML' is the setting to display
received emails in HTML format"
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1113744

The reply there refers to a Tb extension "Allow HTML Temp"

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB/thunderbird/addon/allow-html-temp/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular?src=cb-dl-mostpopular

but from the description, I'm not sure if this does quite what you want.

Best wishes,
Gareth