peter@e... composed on 2022-12-28 10:31 (UTC-0800):

>     From: Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net>
>     Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 21:46:32 -0500

>> DVI doesn't carry audio. DP does.

> Therefore take one audio output from the DP++ port?  Is there a need
> for more than one audio output?

Don't underestimate needs of creative types in the AV industries or among
audiophiles.

> No monitor here has built-in audio.  DP audio would require an adapter
> to a plug on a speaker.

IME, monitors last far shorter than can reasonably be expected. Now when I buy
monitors, speakers are a consideration.

> So I think of putting an adapter such as one of these on the DP++ socket.
> https://www.ebay.ca/itm/154795004186
> https://www.ebay.ca/itm/185532148744
> Then connect the DVI monitor there and VGA to VGA.

IME, those work just fine as long as you realize DVI is video-only.

> One of these might allow three monitors.
> "MST Hub DP DisplayPort 1.4 Bi-Direction Switch Support HDCP SST Extended
> 4K@60hz"
> https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144864706204
> "DP DisplayPort Bi-Direction Switch Splitter Converter MST Hub 4K 8K"
> https://www.ebay.ca/itm/134137803289

> The distinction between manual switching of one display between two
> monitors and one display simultaneously on two monitors isn't stated
> well in the descriptions.  Manual switching won't help.

AFICT, Bi-Direction is a misnomer as applied to those devices. They are simply
switches to select one path to the exclusion of another. The direction of flow
along conductors between display and graphics outputs is fixed in the specs, is
not alterable via any switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313596983241 is what I have on order to substitute for
the capability of my dead 29" Dell.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata