On 2023-01-21 21:19:06 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 22 Jan 2023 at 03:50:17 (+0100), Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > 3. Type Ctrl-C (one or several times) in the terminal.
> > But nothing happens.
>
> I presume that's because the input buffer is already full, so
> you'd need what I think they called an out-of-band signal,
> like pressing Break used to do on an old teletype terminal.

Why doesn't the terminal have a function to flush and discard
the input buffer or have some reserved space for the intr and
quit characters? Or automatically increase the size of the
input buffer?

> > Is there any way to avoid this issue?
>
> Make sure that the application's data is saved, eg, ^X^S in emacs,
> but don't exit the application, eg, ^X^C in emacs.
>
> Then click on the X that closes the xterm window, which takes
> down both xterm and the application with it. This is effectively
> an out-of-band signal.

This is what I've sometimes done until now, but in general,
I don't want to lose the work I've done in the shell, such
as temporary variable settings or things related to the
background jobs.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>