Hi,

Richmond wrote:
> I put a dvd in and mounted it. Then rebooted. I saw these messages:
>
>  [  756.539018] pktcdvd: pktcdvd0: writer mapped to sr0
>  [    3.744658] sr 3:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 62x/62x writer dvd-ram
> cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
>  [   19.585098] pktcdvd: pktcdvd0: writer mapped to sr0

Looks normal.

> Then removed the DVD and rebooted, back to these:

I wonder what happens if you simply put in and out the medium, without
rebooting.

It looks somewhat as if the kernel perceives a wrong medium status and size
and so lures some software like blkid into trying to read the last 4 KiB
before the end of the first GiB.

What do you get from:

  lsblk -b -o VENDOR,MODEL,SIZE /dev/sr0

I get:

  VENDOR   MODEL                  SIZE
  HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L 4700372992

(It is a known bug of Linux to report the size of the last loaded medium
if the drive tray is empty. But exactly 1 GiB is a strange size for a
DVD medium and rebooting should clear this misperception.)

> I am starting to consider re-installing, although everything is working,
> I don't like the look of it. Perhaps I should just re-install the kernel?

If you do, then check whether the messages are not there after base system
installation and then try to find out which further package causes those
read attempts.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas