On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 02:07:53PM -0800, Van Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-03-11 at 22:26 +0100, digital...@gmx.de wrote:
> > My installation is a complete new one from the alpha2 installer.
>
> What's the "alpha2 installer?"
>
> I usually do a netinst. Then I have to install each thing I actually
> use when I discover that it's not installed by netinst.
>
> I need development tools. I need LaTeX.  I use some old stuff such as
> xv and pdftk....
>
> Is there in an installer that lets me choose more than a basic system?

So: once you've got a system up and running using netinst, then you can
use apt.

If you use the netinst to install, there are several desktop environments
to choose from - the tasksel screen.

apt install build-essential will give you some development tools.

apt cache show texlive* will show more TeX than you'd know what to do with.

apt install texlive gives you 24 packages and 129M of software space used.

If the netinst is too limiting for you, try a DVD. If the DVD is too limiting
then you can use jigdo to produce a 16G image, a Blu-Ray disk image ...

I can't see XV in modern Debian but pdftk is an apt command away ...
Debian has more than 40,000 packages - the combinatorial explosion
of possible package combinations someone might want to make their
ssytem the way they want is huge - but apt will pull in the packags for you.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater