On Sun 26 Mar 2023 at 12:47:45 (-0700), pe...@easthope.ca wrote:

> (4) "TLS on connect is not natively supported."  OK but the test
> confirmed that it can work.  Documentation could tell how to
> configure. Otherwise link to instructions at least.
>
> (5)
> https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-encrypted_smtp_connections_using_tlsssl.html
> states "There is also a -tls-on-connect command line option. This
> overrides tls_on_connect_ports; it forces the TLS-only behaviour for
> all ports."  Connection from the local MUA to exim isn't encrypted.
> The command line option will block that?
>
> What ideas are there to configure TLS-on-connect for localhost to
> smarthost and leave MUA to localhost unencrypted on port 25?

Just above that paragraph is the example for tls_on_connect_ports, ie

  tls_on_connect_ports = 465

I assume this goes into the configuration rather than the command
line. I've never had to configure at this level without the benefit
of a MACRO_PARAMETER to set. For example, I turn off certificate
stuff on my LAN with:

  $ cat /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros
  # /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros

  MAIN_TLS_ADVERTISE_HOSTS =
  #
  $

Lacking a macro, you could try editing either
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated (rather like editing grub.cfg, in
that reconfiguring Grub will overwrite it), or
/etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost
which is more permanent (keep a backup of original).

You might try adding the setting after the first active line in
30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost, or test it by adding it
after line 857 in config.autogenerated (the same text). That
assumes that the exim in bullseye supports what's documented
for the latest version.

Cheers,
David.