On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 05:19:09PM +0100, debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
> > Interstingly, though, in rxvt-unicode, if I only press Ctrl-Shift and
> > skip the U, a small region of the terminal window (lower left corner,
> > which is annoyingly right where the cursor is) is colored yellow and
> > says "ISO 14755 mode".  If I keep holding Ctrl-Shift and type 2660
> > then the yellow region gets bigger and shows lots of text, including
> > a spade character.  When I release the Ctrl and Shift keys, the
> > yellow goes away, and I'm left with just a spade character typed into
> > the shell.

> The mechanism is specified by the standard ISO 41755, but it doesn't
> specify the introducer sequence. I have no idea how it is enabled or
> disabled.

I believe you've mistyped the number, and actually mean 14755, unless
my Google-fu is extremely bad.

In any case, this is clearly implemented at the terminal (or other GUI
app) level, not at the text editor level.  So it "works" in vim for
you, because you're running vim in a terminal which supports this
feature.  And it "doesn't work" in vim for me in xterm, because xterm
doesn't support it.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_14755> also suggests Ctrl+Shift
as the "beginning key sequence", but this is clearly just meant as one
possible implementation choice.