On 29/03/2023 05:01, John Boxall wrote:
I am trying to launch Thunderbird as my calendar application when opening a webcal link.

Your description is too general, it lacks details. E.g. you did not provide exact commands and their output that you use to check that defaults are set properly.

This happens in both Chrome and Firefox.

Open web development tools, switch to the network tab, click on the link, check MIME type in server response headers.

In Firefox check application associations in preferences (settings).

If you save link target to disk, can you open the downloaded file by thunderbird directly and by xdg-open? What is MIME type reported by the "file" utility?

I am running Debian 10/Buster with all of the latest updates.

Behavior might depend on your desktop environment.

The following files have been updated to point to Thunderbird:

~/.config/mimeapps.list

It is hard to reason whether it should work without details what you have added to this file.

Check entries related to evolution in this file and MIME types specified in its .desktop file.