On 30/3/23 16:32, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

hosts based local 192.158.xx.yy network.

cups at localhost:631 on any buster machine sees my printers just fine, and the buster machines can print to them.

Those machines running bullseye aren't allowed. can't see my printers unless I send ff to the ipv4 address of this machine.

This machine with the printers attached to its usb ports is an uptodate bullseye.

One scanner/printer also has an ipv4 address on the local net, but that is not found by the bullseye machines either.

What is preventing a bullseye machine from seeing my printers?

Thank You.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Debian 10 and 11 both use the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) for printer management. CUPS comes with a tool called "Avahi" that allows for automatic discovery of network printers that support the Bonjour or Zeroconf protocols.

When a printer that supports Bonjour/Zeroconf is connected to the network, it announces itself to the network using Multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) protocol. The Avahi daemon running on Debian listens for these announcements and creates a local service for each printer discovered. The printer should then be automatically available for use in CUPS.

In your case see whether avahi is running, and if not, enable it.

--
Jeremy
(Lists)