Some key phrases / sub topics:
   * Astound (cable based) ISP in eastern Pa. area
   * Arris DG2470A modem / router in bridge mode with Ubiquiti Edge Router X
   * Ubiquiti Edge Router X in DMZ

Aside: I'm in a catch 22 -- my new, cable-based ISP (Astound / RCN) says my
questions are out of scope and I should talk to the manufacturer.  The
manufacturer says that the Arris DG2470A modem / router is not something they
sell to the end user (only to ISPs or such), and thus I should get support
from the ISP, so:

For the the last 10 years or so I've used a DSL modem (in bridge mode) and a
Ubiquiti Edge Router X.  With the modem in bridge mode the router was
responsible for connection to the ISP (and using, afaict, pppoe).

I've now signed up to a new ISP (Astound / RCN) that provides access via cable
(and, of course, a cable modem, an Arris DG2470A -- it does include a router
but without all the features I'd like to have).  So far, I have not been able
to connect to Astound with the modem in bridge mode (and using DHCP in the
router).

(The new modem / router does work fine in non-bridge mode, so my connection and
such works.)

I'm not 100% sure whether Astound (in my area, around Allentown, Pa.) uses
PPPoE or DHCP to make the connection.  So far, I've tried only DHCP.

Astound does need to do something on their end to register the modem in order
to make it work.  They have told me that the thing they need to register the
modem is the MAC address (and, of course, they have that for the Arris).

I am thinking of doing something like cloning the modem's MAC address in the
router (and also maybe putting a different MAC address in the Arris) so that
maybe Astound will accept a logon from the Ubiquiti router (of course, I don't
know if the problem is that Astound doesn't like that the Ubiquiti is trying
to make the connection).

I've also seen a suggestion that I put the Ubiquiti in the DMZ zone of the
Arris, but I haven't fully assimilated that suggestion, for example, I'm not
sure what IP address to assign to the (WAN) port of the Ubiquiti in that case
-- a private address on my LAN or something else.

(Right now I've got a bunch of web pages open, some of which I've started to
read -- when I find / get back to the page that suggests putting the Ubiquiti
in the DMZ, my questions might be answered (on the subject of putting the
Ubiquiti in the DMZ).

I'm also not sure what problems having the Ubiquiti in the DMZ might cause --
in general, I'd prefer to have the Ubiquiti connected to the Arris in bridge
mode (because of my past experience).

I did think about using both the Ubiquiti (and DHCP, if that's what Astound
uses in this area) and the Arris sort of in series (the Ubiquiti ("downstream"
of the Arris) then doing the DHCP (and other features, e.g. QOS) for the LAN,
but I'm leery of doing that because I've seen (somewhat vague) warnings on the
Internet about doing double NAT.  (Maybe that is only an issue of speed, which
I don't think would bother me -- the Astound connection could be 30 (or  more
(or less)) times as fast as the DSL connection.)

I suppose I could do the two in series (as mentioned above), leave DHCP turned
on in both, but the firewall turned off in the upstream modem / router.

I'm getting too old -- trial and error (as I've done a few times) is nerve
wracking for me.  Even getting the Ubiquiti back to the configuration to use on
my DSL ISP drove me crazy, I had to try a few times to do that (I haven't
cancelled my DSL ISP yet), and I'm not sure that I know the exact steps to get
that setup working again if I have to (i.e., if I try the Astound connection
and don't get it working), but I feel, since I accomplished it once, I can do
it again (i.e., I'm seeking comments on the problems of connecting to
Astound rather than those of reconnecting to my DSL ISP).

Thanks!