On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:38:43 -0800, ope wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  I will try lvm10 again (I am
> avoiding lvm2 for the same reason you are).  I think
> the problem may that I don't quite understand what I
> need to do to set up LVM.  When lvm10 is installed
> this message is displayed:
>
> ----------
> if devfs is compiled into the kernel then it MUST be
> mounted on /dev
> Otherwise LVM will not be able to locate your Physical
> Volumes. You must
> also use the full devfs device names in LVM commands
> rather than the
> shortened devfsd names.
> ----------
>
> I have never used devfs and have mostly ignored its
> existence so I have a few questions.  The first is
> that the message says that that devfs "MUST be mounted
> on /dev".  What does this mean and how do I do it?
>
> Second question, the message says that I must also use
> the full devfs device names in LVM commands.  Does
> this mean that I must run command like this:
> vgcreate newvg /dev/ide/host0/bus0...
> and not like this:
> vgcreate newvg /dev/hda2
>
> I assume it means the former.  If so do I also have to
> use the full device path in non lvm commands.  For
> example can I mount using:
> mount /dev/newvg/nvglv01 /newfs
> or do I need to mount using:
> mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0... /newfs

If devfsd is a debian install ("dpkg -l devfsd" will tell you), it should
be set up fine.

And, if you can see your devices as /dev/ide/... then it is all fine.

You are correct that you need to use the /dev/ide/... device names for
LVM.  You can use the old device names (/dev/hd??) for mount.  Probably
most all non-lvm commands.  Certainly the fdisk family, for example.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.