On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 03:39:50PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 08:29:11PM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 01:01:27PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > > Ifconfig has been deprecated in Debian for some years.
> >
> > It is *not* deprecated. It is just optional, not essential.
>
> I don't know what Debian's official stance is, but if you do web searches
> for "Linux ifconfig deprecated", you find MANY results.

[...]

> Those are the most official-sounding references I can find in a few
> minutes.

So Redhat. But hey, look at packages.debian.org (I know, looking at
a Debian resource is totally... counterintuitive). Net-tools seems
active as of currently, has an upstream, there are bug reports worked
on, and testing has a major version upgrade wrt. stable.

Just because some is "on the internet" it isn't necessarily true
(I'd propose "argumentum ad internetum" for that ;-)

So no, it doesn't look dead to me. Whatever Redhat and Arch think
they think.

Cheers