On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 12:10:13AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> I read somewhere that the recent tweaks (improvements?) to
> ifconfig's output were breaking scripts, which is hardly surprising.

I can personally confirm this as true.  Some of the machines at work
run a proprietary software product that uses a license key, tied to
the machine's ethernet interface's MAC address.  The vendor's script
runs ifconfig and tries to parse the output to get the MAC address.
This script fails on the recent versions of net-tools.