On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:29:31AM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> >And just as a matter of fact, D-Link is a crap.
>
> What products do you suggest then? I checked netgear and they seem to
> have properly supported hardware for linux. I check change the D-Link

Not every ``linux support'' is a real ``Linux support''.  I have two
Cisco Aironet 350's--one PCM & one LMC, with the 2.4 airo.o driver, I
use the LMC one for a connection to [1]local ``community network''.
Despite the Cisco fame, It keeps yelling errors at me, and with Debian 2.4bf
kernel it would freeze upon resume from Suspend to Disk (but all these
problems may be caused by my Dell Latitude itself, it surely has other
similar problems...  I decided to buy these Ciscos after I searched the
Internet for something that would be supported under Linux, with no need
to use Windows for firmware update (Z-COM XI-626), and such horrors.  I
wanted Prism 2/2.5/3 chipset.  It was the last June, and it was very
hard to find anything that would meet my requirements.  So I went Cisco,
and thought Cisco was---simply the best...  Now I can not even attach
tcpdump, as it would freeze after few seconds...  These are 802.11b,
however.

[1] http://CZFree.Net

> stuff to:
> WGR614 Cable/DSL Wireless Router 54 Mbps/2.4 GHz
> WGE101 54 Mbps Wireless Ethernet Bridge
> WG311 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter

Check your favorite wireless site (google) for useful remarks on these
types/manufacturer.

> I have 2 questions though:
> 1. As stated in the original message, can i connect a bridge with
> another
> bridge? (1 bridge on cable modem, 1 on eth0 of server)

See the bridges' manual/ask the vendor; AFAICT, yes.

> 2. To manage both the bridge and router, the OS is not important since
> it can all be run from a browser?

Maybe.  Just check the browser interface is mature/secure/compatible
enough.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 8