On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 08:26:47PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Tom Reed wrote:
> >

> > If I know the network addr:  192.168.1.0
> > And know the broadcast addr: 192.168.1.255
> > Then I should have the possibility to cal the netmask addr: 255.255.255.0
> >
> > Isn't it?
>

> No. What's the netmask if you have:
>
> IP: 192.168.255.132
> broadcast: 192.168.255.255 ?

See my other post: I think Tom means the "subnet address", which
by convention is the "subnet address" in the sense of [1].

I don't know whether there is an accepted RFC for that, but it
seems to be current practice (there are proposals to get rid of
that one [2], which actually doesn't make any sense, but IPv6
would be the better way to go anyway :)

I see Greg and you interpreted Tom's "net addr" as "the internet
address of the host in question". I think it's meant as the
"subnet address" in the sense of [1]. It seems a relic from BSD,
which seems to have used it /also/ as broadcast. These days it
is a disfunctional appendage mainly used to torture networking
students, but it's there with a big sign "DON'T STEP ON IT" ;-)

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4#First_and_last_subnet_addresses
[2] https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-intarea-schoen-lowest-address-00.html