Am 26.05.2023 um 11:47 schrieb Thomas Schmitt:
> (...)
> (And as mick.crane already noticed, it is a bit awkward to create an
> extended partiton 2 only to fill it nearly up with logical partition 5.
> I wonder what entity decided to do so.)

About one year ago, i was helping some neighbor at setting up an old
notebook to use linux, XUbuntu in that case.

I was quite surprised to find out, that the installer had done exactly
that: Setup MBR, with extended partition, where only swap was in.
After making sure, that notebook could handle UEFI booting properly, i
allowed myself to find out, if it was possible to change partitioning to
GPT and booting to use EFI. - Yes, i did not need to backup/restore the
partition contents, just carefully moving it to make room for EFISYS
partition and such, and installing the EFI support was enough and the
machine is working happily ever since.

There may be other entities, but apparently in 2022 the Ubuntu installer
still decided to go very old-fashionned about its job. ;-)