I'm just tinkering, trying to wrap my brain around Apache2. I've done a
clean-install, and when I look through /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, I see no
reference to "DocumentRoot".

There is one in /etc/apache2/sites-[available|enabled]/000-default.conf, so
of course, the web-server serves up the default Debian Apache2 web page
when I use my web-browser to point to localhost. This is as expected.

But if I disable 000-default.conf, by running a2dissite 000-default (and
verify that the sites-enabled dir is empty), the default web page is still
served up. I would have expected that to have broken the web-server,
preventing it from being able to serve the default web page (from
/var/www/html). The only thing I can think of to explain this is that
/var/www/html must be hard-coded in the Apache2 source as the DocumentRoom.

Can anyone confirm/deny this, and/or explain why my Apache2 server is not
broken if I don't have any sites in the sites-available directory and the
main conf file does not specify the DocumentRoot?

Thanks!

--
Kent West                    <")))><
IT Support / Client Support