On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 03:59:40PM -0400, pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Typically, when Debian installs a GUI environment (GNOME, XFCE4, etc.),
> it also installs lightdm or some other X session manager.

Nitpick: xdm is the X display manager. The X session is something completely
different. You usually want the latter.

>  This takes up
> memory, and isn't something I really need (as far as I know). Instead,
> I'm perfectly happy to have Debian give me a console login prompt, and
> then I issue startx.
>
> Is there any liability to removing lightdm or similar?

Doing startx is a perfectly valid way of living.

Memory usage is a weak argument, though. While "my" xdm takes 2.2 M
resident memory, Xorg itself is already at 47,6. Firefox (just one of
its eight kraken arms!) goes to a whopping 263 M, that's like one
hundred times xdm! And it still has other seven arms left. And I
start it in a very restricted mode, no javascript for you today.

Gnome? No idea.

But there are other reasons to do startx.

Cheers