On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 2:47 AM Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:

> * 2023-06-08 19:32:13-0400, Timothy M. Butterworth wrote:
>
> > I have a 2012 MacBook Pro that I am going to install Debian Bookworm on.
> > will not be keeping OSX on the Mac as it is no longer supported for
> > updates. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for installing Debian on a
> > MacBook Pro?
>
> I don't have that same machine but I believe you won't need any or much
> tricks: it should install and work nicely. I have Apple Macbook Air 2012
> and I have had Debian in it since 2016 or 2017. I reinstalled Debian 11
> last year and all went smoothly again with firmware installer image.
>

> https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/
>
> Debian 12's (Bookworm) official installer will include non-free firmware
> files.
>
> A couple of tricks I have made. I created /etc/modprobe.d/apple-fn.conf
> file to modify function keys (F1-F12). Normally those keys have various
> special functionality and to access real F1-F12 keys user needs "fn"
> modifier key. I don't like that so I reversed the behavior with the
> following settings:
>
>     # /etc/modprobe.d/apple-fn.conf
>     # fnmode=1      F1-F12 keys need "fn"
>     # fnmode=2      F1-F12 keys work without "fn"
>
>     options hid_apple fnmode=2
>
> Apple computers have annoying startup sound ("chime") which can't be
> modified easily from Linux side. I wanted to silence it and the trick
> that works in my Macbook Air is described in Arch Linux wiki (the
> "chattr" and Bash "printf" trick):
>
>     https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/mac#Mute_startup_chime
>
> I turned that information into a Bash script:
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>
> f=/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/SystemAudioVolume-7c436110-ab2a-4bbb-a880-fe41995c9f82
>     chattr -i "$f"
>     # Must be Bash "printf"!
>     printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x00" > "$f"
>     chattr +i "$f"
>
> The settings are persistent so probably that script is needed only once.
> If you set the startup sound silent from Mac OS side before installing
> Linux, that setting persists over to the Linux installation.
>
> --
> /// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/

Teemu

Thanks for the info. I successfully installed Debian 12 on the MacBook
Pro.  I received a nice surprise as I discovered that Apple restricted the
CPU to 2 cores at 2.5 GHz. With Linux I know have 4 cores at 3.1 GHz!
Almost like buying a new machine. Even with the improved CPU capabilities
it still feels a bit sluggish. At first I thought the problem was that I
needed a RAM upgrade but I have been monitoring the RAM and I have not used
all of it.

The only thing I do not like is the bright white screen that shows up with
the chime. It stays on for a long time with no status display before it
eventually starts Grub. I have been looking for a  way to enter EFI
settings but I have not found anything successful so far. I tried holding
down option but that just took me to a screen to choose which OS to boot. I
tried holding down S, Control+S, Command+S, Command+Control+S,
Command+Control+O+F. None of them worked. Do you know how to get into the
EFI to change the POST settings?

Thanks

Tim
-