Hey there,

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 3:56 PM Nicholas Papadonis <
nick.papadonis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just cleanly installed Debian 11 and am trying to create a virtual
> environment for Python.

Assuming you meant Debian 12 here, based on the subject line, and am
answering as such.

> I get the following error, does anyone know how to resolve this?  Am I
> missing some packages that need to be installed?
>
> 1843 [deb12:~]$ python3 -m venv pt

First time I ran this I was notified that I didn't have the python3-venv
package installed.  After taking care of that, I was able to run your
command without any errors on my clean Debian 12 system.

Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<frozen runpy>", line 189, in _run_module_as_main
>   File "<frozen runpy>", line 148, in _get_module_details
>   File "<frozen runpy>", line 112, in _get_module_details
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.11/venv/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
>     import logging
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.11/logging/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
>     import threading
>   File "/home/vboxuser/threading.py", line 3, in <module>
>     sem = threading.Semaphore()
> AttributeError: partially initialized module 'threading' has no attribute
> 'Semaphore' (most likely due to a circular import)

This won't be helpful information for you in that I am not providing a
solution, but please know that I couldn't reproduce your issue on my system
so I suspect there is something amiss with yours.

I hope this is something of a pointer for you.

David