Hi,

siso wrote:
> The bug saved my drive fortunately. Yay for that.

I have no report of persistent damage. But drives can take offense from
overburning and then need a power cycle.

> I wonder if we are seeing the last of CD-R as a Debian install medium.

It seems not to be intented for now.

Bug 1038440 meanwhile has a comment by Cyril Brulebois:
> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/-/issues/3 has:
> Revisit firmware packages included in the netinst (amd64 is 738M for
> 12.0.0): at least nvidia stuff wasn't planned in the beginning, and
> could be removed.

But in the end there will be no way around switching netinst from CD to
DVD, if firmware shall stay. The list will grow. Decisions about removing
old hardware's firmware will be difficult.

> Wait, there is still the mini iso. Ha, CD-R will live on. :)

I rather hope for a netinst-CD ISO without firmware as companion of the
netinst DVD ISO with firmware.
Once there was the "businesscard CD" ISO with less than 50 MiB. Very handy
for xorriso regression tests.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas