Hi David,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 04:53:06PM +0100, David Wright wrote:
> On Wed 21 Jun 2023 at 12:31:20 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
> > feature rich editors like vim and emacs can easily write to files
> > through sudo or sftp, thus enabling seamless editing of files as
> > different users and even on different hosts.

> I don't recall ever editing a file as root and needing anything
> beyond the capabilities of nano. What kind of "advanced" editing
> would one do?

I'm saying that the more advanced editors have features to only do
the I/O as root, so one can enjoy all the other features of the
editor without running the whole editor as root, so that bypasses
the issue of "it's a bad idea to run a complex app (editor) as
root". You can just run it as you and still write to such files when
you need to.

I personally feel that it was a force multiplier for me when I went
from nano¹ to a more complex editor, but I'm not going to try to
convince anyone else.

One day I might even get around to using one of these new-fangled
shells instead of bash. 😀

Cheers,
Andy

¹ Well, pico for me, which was what nano was a clone of.