On 23 Jul 2023 20:32 +0000, from 2695bd53d...@ewoof.net (Michael Kjörling):
> I upgraded from current Debian 11 to 12.1 today. Almost everything
> worked great, but during early boot I'm now getting the following
> message:
>
> unknown keysym 'dead_abovering'
> /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap:27: syntax error
> syntax error in map file
> key bindings not changed
>
> This is printed before the root file system fsck.

Okay, I was able to pinpoint this to a somewhat more specific point in
the boot sequence by booting without the "quiet" kernel parameter. The
below is what I was able to piece out from video around when the error
message is displayed.

> [    1.500128] x86/mm: Checked W+X mappings: passed, ...
> [    1.500183] Run /init as init process
> unknown keysym 'dead_abovering'
> /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap:27: syntax error
> syntax error in map file
> key bindings not changed
> Starting systemd-udevd version 252.12-1~deb12u1

After the above the USB detection starts scrolling past way too fast
for the camera.

This is well past "Trying to unpack rootfs image as init"... at
0.586242 but before the storage device scan beginning at about 1.8,
let alone final storage device attachment and name assignment which
happens at around 10.9 seconds into the boot. All times during that
particular boot, of course.

Another way of putting it is that whatever tries to load the kmap file
and being unhappy about it happens VERY early after systemd is first
started by the kernel.

Not sure if this is a clue or not to what's going wrong, but it seems
like relevant data.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”