On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 10:53:35AM -0700, Wenyan Hu wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Google's GPU driver installation no longer works for Debian images since
> 08/23/2023.
>
> Google is using
> https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/gpus/install-drivers-gpu#installation_scripts
> install GPU drivers on Debian images. It executes scripts as
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/compute-gpu-installation/main/linux/install_gpu_driver.py
> .

Maybe take that up with Google - their script and their engineers to fix?

> Now for the latest images, if running scripts as below:
>
> ```
> $ apt-cache search linux-headers | grep -i $(uname -r)
> $ apt update
> $apt install -y linux-headers-5.10.0-24-cloud-amd64
> software-properties-common pciutils gcc make dkms
> ```
> After running `apt update`, we find the package
> linux-headers-5.10.0-24-cloud-amd64 no longer exists, which results in the
> `apt install linux-headers-5.10.0-24-cloud-amd64` failure.

apt update and then apt upgrade, maybe, to bring the system up to date
rather than just updating the list of available packages?

> It seems after the `apt update`, the index somehow no longer points to
> linux-headers-5.10.0-23-cloud-amd64 and linux-headers-5.10.0-24-cloud-amd64.
>
> I know it would work if we (1) not do `apt update`, or (2) install newer
> kernel packages.

If you *only* do apt update, nothing has changed.

> But for (1), the apt update is required for our other package
> installations, (2) the kernel package update needs VM rebooting.

This is always likely to be the case: if you do a kernel package update
you *should* reboot to the new kernel, since this is likely to have fixed
security or other problems.

> It is now blocking my team's image release and product functionality
> because we need the GPU driver installation without VM rebooting.

As above, you will need to reboot the VM eventually.

> Could you please prioritize the issue and provide some tips or support?

This is an end user support and information list: we can't provide an
immediate fix to the issue. I would have suggested the debian cloud image
team if I hadn't already suggested taking this up with Google.

> Thanks,
> Wenyan

With every good wish,

Andy Cater