g...@wooledge.org wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 07:40:46AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>>
>> I was able to successfully change my password and update my Wiki home
>> page a little while ago.  It has been a long time since I created the
>> account and don't recall what the process entailed.
>
>If I recall correctly, it used to be possible to create an account with
>the standard wiki mechanisms, but that was discontinued due to spammers
>abusing it.  So, those of us who happened to create an account in the
>early days got to do it the easy way, but now any new accounts need to
>be approved by the wiki admins.

Yup, that's exactly it. We used to cope with some scripts to do
auto-whitelisting, but the spammers got worse and worse. So now we
need to do manual approval. We try to be as responsive as possible to
new signup requests, and we normally respond within a few hours.

Not enough spammers on fire. :-(

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,