On Fri, 2023-09-01 at 07:25 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Jason writes:
> > Or how does your backup look like?
>
> Just rsync.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist chiming in here.

I have never used OpenMediaVault.

I HAVE used a number of other backup methodologies, including
Borgbackup, for which I had high hopes, but was highly disappointed.

In the end, I currently have settled upon using rsnapshot to back up my
single-machine, single-user setup to external external usb hard drive
A, which is then copied to external usb hard drive B, using rsync.  If
you can do rsync, you can do rsnapshot.

It's easy, especially when it comes to restoring, verifying, and
impromptu access to data, to use random stuff, or even to just "check
on" your data occasionally, to reassure yourself that it is still
there.

Yes, it does require considerable space (no data de-duplication), and
the rsync of the backup drives does take considerable time.  But to me,
it is worth it, to avoid the methodological equivalent of "vendor lock-
in".

INB4:  No, I don't do online backups. If people or organizations with
nose problems want my data they are going to have to make at least a
little effort to get it. And yes, I do know the 1-2-3 backup
philosophy, which does seem like a good idea for many (most?) users.

Also, I really like Clonezilla for occasional brute-force, scorched-
earth backups, such as when preparing for a complete reinstall or
release upgrade, or when switching to a new computer.

(Note: everything above applies to backing up my data: (/home/[user]
only). For backing up the actual system: (/ except for /home/[user]), I
use (and like) Timeshift. It has saved my donkey more than once!)

Well, that's what works for me.  Feel free to disregard this. It may
not work for you.  And, "if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces"!