On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 8:14 AM Marco M. <m...@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Am 25.10.2023 um 07:25:45 Uhr schrieb gene heskett:
>
> > Is there an RFC number for this already?
>
> ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc8375.html

This is so interesting (to me). I can't believe I missed that RFC...

>From the Abstract:

   This document specifies the behavior that is expected from the Domain
   Name System with regard to DNS queries for names ending with
   '.home.arpa.' and designates this domain as a special-use domain
   name. 'home.arpa.' is designated for non-unique use in residential
   home networks.  The Home Networking Control Protocol (HNCP) is
   updated to use the 'home.arpa.' domain instead of '.home'.

Notice '.home.arpa.' is a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). FQDN's
end in dot, and the dot denotes the top of the DNS tree.

'home' is not a FQDN. It is not a node from the top of the DNS tree.
It is just a special label.

One of my pet peeves is when someone conflates a hostname with a FQDN.
Systemd does this all the time. Systemd's [unofficial] policy seems to
be mDNS and its gossip is the source of truth for network names. Old
admins will always consider DNS as the single source of truth for
network names, not gossip-based protocols.

Systemd networking probably has W Richard Stevens rolling over in his grave...

Jeff