On Thu 26 Oct 2023 at 07:58:45 (+0800), jeremy ardley wrote:
> On 26/10/23 07:24, David Wright wrote:
> > > Or if you already have a domain, you can use a subdomain. eg. I have
> > > rail.eu.org, and at home it is depot.rail.eu.org
> > I'm not sure how that would work when my home network
> > is on a different continent from my domain's hosting.
>
> This is no problem asides from DNS.
>
> You will have DNS records set up for your hosted service  with public
> IP addresses. It's quite straight forward to add a subdomain and
> assign non routable IP addresses to it.
>
> Downside is it will look odd to an observer, and will leak some info
> about your internal network.
>
> As an alternative you can still use the same naming convention but not
> put it in the public domain. This will require you to set up your own
> internal DNS service or hosts files and have DNS queries resolved
> locally without going to the external DNS server.

I use hosts files, as my inexpensive router has no DNS facility to
parallel its DHCP service. Setting up an internal DNS would just be
extra work, another chance of inconsistency, and depend on an
individual machine always being up.

My machines send external DNS requests to the router, which is
configured to forward them to Google. Currently I still use .corp
as my domain name, and find it least confusing if anything with
"lionunicorn…" in it is an external address.

Cheers,
David.