Am 27.10.2023 um 12:09:23 Uhr schrieb gene heskett:

> On 10/27/23 10:40, Marco M. wrote:
> > Am 27.10.2023 um 10:37:12 Uhr schrieb gene heskett:
> >
> >> Its in there, for this machine, but on a reboot, the domainname
> >> reverts to "none" Apparently I didn't use the approved systemd way
> >> to change it. from a cat of /etc/hosts:
> >> 192.168.71.3    coyote.home.arpa        coyote
> >
> > That is only relevant for the name resolution, not for the name your
> > system has.
> >

> Picky, define the differemce please.

/etc/hostname sets the name that is being used for the prompt in your
terminal, for outgoing mail (MTA uses that by default, but can be
changed) and such stuff. If you don't have that in /etc/hosts, it can't
be resolved to an IP address by that method. Some applications require
it to work and unicast DNS is not always available and won't resolve to
::1/127.0.0.1.
If you only put it in /etc/hosts, name resolution will work, but you
system doesn't use that as hostname.