Hi,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 07:43:13PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 12. November 2023, 19:27:20 CET schrieb Andy Smith:
> Yes, this is looking promising. Looks like thisis what I exactly need.

I am still intrigued by the idea of an iso file having a UUID when
it's written directly to a USB disk though. I didn't think that
happened. I don't have a USB stick to hand right now and my searches
as to whether ISO images have UUIDs have not proven conclusive as of
yet.

I must admit it's been ages since I looked into the details of iso
images so perhaps I was mistaken in saying they would not have a
UUID. If they can/do have a UUID then perhaps they can also have a
label, which may help if the device id method doesn't suit you.

Ultimately though, you are probably constrained by the info that
appears in /dev/disk/by-* as that is what Linux tools will be using
for mounting. So that's the place to look to see what your options
are.

Thanks,
Andy