On Mon, 2023-11-13 at 20:45 +0100, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 10:04 AM Scott Denlinger
> > <scottdenlinge...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Does anyone know why there are no stock realtime kernels in trixie/sid? I
> > > currently have 'linux-image-6.5.0-1-rt-amd64-unsigned' installed, but I
> > > don't see any newer RT kernels available.
> > >
> > > Scott Denlinger
>
> Hello, I also was looking for it, but I've seen that the standard kernel
> seems
> to have some preemptive patch (dynamic ?) :
>
> So I think the kernel packagers think it's sufficient ?

Quoting a recent article from LWN [1]

   PREEMPT_DYNAMIC, was added to the 5.12 kernel by Michal Hocko in
   2021. It allows the preemption choice to be deferred until boot
   time, where any of the modes except PREEMPT_RT can be selected by
   the preempt= command-line parameter. PREEMPT_DYNAMIC allows
   distributors to ship a single kernel while letting users pick the
   preemption mode that works best for their workload.

So if you specificity need a real-time kernel this won't give it to
you.

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/944686/

--
Tixy