On 19/11/2023 17:50, Tixy wrote:
On Sun, 2023-11-19 at 07:58 -0800, Peter Ehlert wrote:
Question: with IMAP is it feasible for a mail client to Leave
messages
on the server?
My question was incomplete.  I should have added that I must have
local
copies of almost everything, for Me to filter an purge.
--- > So you folks discussing IMAP made it super clear that POP is my
only choice. < ---
I don't see why you need POP to filter email. Your email client will
almost certainly let you create filters to process and delete emails.
E.g. I use IMAP with Evolution mail client and have various filters for
spam and kill files. Amongst the many filter options is the ability to
pipe new messages to an external program and the perform actions on the
result. That's how I implement killfiles for this email list, I have a
bash script to match email headers against a kill list and then if my
script returns 'true' I have evolution set to delete them.

Depending on your IMAP server, you may even be able to use "Sieve" scripts to perform the filtering on the server (i.e. before you even download the messages to a client). Sieve scripts can look at headers and bodies, so you can do simple things like "Messages from my family get moved to the 'Family' folder", "messages with a subject that contains 'debian-user' get moved to the 'debian-user' folder", to more complicated things like "auto reply to subscription-confirmation emails".