hmmm, I looked at the release notes, but it does not say how to
restore the old behavior, it just says many files are no longer
necessary and lists them.  I am using logwatch and that program seems
to be effected, I would be OK, if I could get logwatch to work
properly.

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 04:32:35 -0500,
Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Am Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 05:01:50PM -0500 schrieb John Covici:
> > Hi.  I am using bookworm with latest updates and /var/log/syslog is
> > empty, even though rsyslog is runniing.  I am also using logwatch and
> > not getting at least some responses I should get such as fail2ban.
> > These may be separate problems, but any help on those would be
> > appreciated.  I saw a previous thread, but it does not seem to apply
> > to my situation.
>
> Hi John,
> from Bookworm on the default log system has been changed to the
> systemd-mechanism only. In the Bookworm release notes is a section about
> logging. It describes how to re-enable the conventional logging
> facilities. I hope this pointer is helpful.
>
> > Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> > How do
> > you spend it?
> >
> >          John Covici wb2una
> >          cov...@ccs.covici.com
> >
> This is a very wise statement. Mine is just a joke in German.
>
> Kind regards,
> Christoph
> --
> Ist die Katze gesund
> schmeckt sie dem Hund.
> [2 signature.asc <application/pgp-signature (7bit)>]
> Verifying...

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una