On Sat 25 Nov 2023 at 13:35:05 (-0500), Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Hi folks,
> floating back on screen with the latest and a question.
> My knight of mailbox creation has done a fine job so far.
> The issue is, I am being asked to provide my password for every task,
> even after doing so and logging into the imap setup the first time.
> Is there a line anywhere that has a timeout for this anywhere that can
> be adjusted?
> Or something else covering  how long alpine decides you are good to go
> where imap is concerned?
> for the record, he is using Ubuntu 22 plus, with Alpine being 2.5 plus
> I believe.

The symptom you describe might suggest that disable-password-caching
is set somewhere.

To save a password, you type N (for new-password) and it gets stored
in .pine-passfile in an obfuscated form. You should
chmod go=   that file as otherwise it is completely unprotected from
revealing your password to anyone reading it..

When you try that, you'll find out (a) whether the ubuntu version
allows this to be done, and (b) whether that's the correct filename.

There are other nasties like: nowrite_password_cache,
disable-password-file-saving and disable-password-cmd,
but I don't know the details. It looks as though there's a lot of
help information in the binary (assuming it's compiled in).

Cheers,
David.