On 21/12/2023 21:53, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 09:08:09AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:

And
it is quite possible on a few of those machines to have multiple
desktop users, each from a different TZ.

I've sometimes the impression that desktop environments are losing
the concept pf multi-user operating systems and are regreding to
something like Windows 95.

Tomas, I do not see you point and I feel like my messages may cause some sort of confusion.

POSIX and libc have some shortcomings, but they are not unique to desktop environments and applicable to window manager sessions and even to standalone applications.

/etc/localtime is a global setting. Its change may affect all users not having explicit TZ. Something better than libc is required for an application (especially multithread one) that need to deal with time in multiple time zones.

Systemd, from my point of view, does not make it worse. It just allows e.g. firefox to subscribe to timezone change events instead of adding explicit support of /etc/localtime and inotify handlers.

I am in doubts if Linux ever was more "multiuser" in respect to timezones.