On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 08:55:04AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 02:17:47PM +0100, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > whereas /etc/timezone [1] is just the
> > global default for the (libc) applications to fall back to whenever they
> > don't have specified one.
> >
> > [1] Or whatever that thing may be called in systemd-land.
>
> Unless I'm gravely mistaken, /etc/localtime is the one that almost
> everything uses (libc and systemd)

This is also what the manuals for timezone(3) and tzset(3) would
suggest.
>                                     and /etc/timezone is a legacy
> relic, which nobody's *supposed* to be using, but which some old
> applications may still use, so we can't just remove it.

I don't like to link to SO and its ilk (to me, they are enclosure [0]
devices, taking from the Commons for the profit of some), but this
ref here [1] has a useful and thorough description. The short version
is that you are basically right, Greg: /etc/localtime is the relevant
one for the current discussion, whereas /etc/timezone does have a
function under Debian (mostly at install time), but a different one.

Beyond our bubble there is some diversity (/etc/TZ, /etc/TIMEZONE),
and Java (surprised?) does its own thing.

Cheers

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure
[1]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/16241/debugging-java-program-for-changing-timezone-configuration-file-on-ubuntu