On 23 Dec 2023 08:34 -0500, from s.mol...@sbcglobal.net (Stephen P. Molnar):
> However, I have a bit of a problem, when I attempt:
>
> (base) comp@AbNormal:~$ sudo apt update
> [sudo] password for comp:
> Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security InRelease
> Hit:2 http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian bookworm InRelease
> Hit:3 http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian bookworm-updates InRelease
> Hit:4 https://repo.skype.com/deb stable InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> All packages are up to date.
> W: https://repo.skype.com/deb/dists/stable/InRelease: Key is stored in
> legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION
> section in apt-key(8) for details.
> (base) comp@AbNormal:~$ sudo apt upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> E: The package virtualbox-7.0 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
> archive for it.
> (base) comp@AbNormal:~$
>
> Please advise.

VirtualBox isn't in the official Debian repositories, so you likely
used Oracle's repository to install it at some point and then removed
that repository from your apt configuration (possibly as a part of
installing VMWare; in general, having more than one hypervisor
installed on the same system is discouraged). Alternatively, you might
have installed VirtualBox using a manually downloaded .deb file.

Either re-add Oracle's repository per
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads#Debian-basedLinuxdistributions
and try `apt reinstall virtualbox-7.0` (this is probably the easiest
if you want to keep running VirtualBox).

Or reinstall the .deb using dpkg -i if you originally installed
VirtualBox that way.

Or you could try `apt remove virtualbox-7.0`.

If you don't want to run VirtualBox going forward, the easiest way
might be to just `apt purge virtualbox-7.0`.

Depending on the current state of the package, you might need to
reinstall it before you can remove it.

After either remove or purge (see the apt man page for the difference
between the two) you should be able to reinstall it later if you want
to.

More generally, I agree with Andy's recommendation to check out
KVM/QEMU unless you have something in particular which depends on
using a specific other hypervisor. You may want to check out AQEMU as
a replacement for virt-manager; I haven't tried it myself, but based
on screenshots I have seen it looks like a closer match for
VirtualBox's GUI tooling, and you will still have access to the full
power of KVM through virsh if you want that.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”